Thursday, August 21, 2003

Sobig Pain in My A$$

When it's on the regular local news, you know that it's a problem. I have been receiving emails for the past two days from postmasters informing me that I have sent someone an email that "may be infected" with the sobig virus. E-mails that I have not sent, and I do not recognize the address that they were sent to, that are coming from an IP address that is not mine.

After a couple of hours of virus scanning and using various removal tools from symantec and some forum searching, I've come to the realization that it is not my computer that is infected. In fact, from a tip on the forum, I found out that the sobig virus will spoof a from e-mail address to make it look like it's coming from somebody else's system. It does this so as not to tip off the user of their computer's infection. At least I'm not infected, frustrated as hell, but not infected.

You do need to make sure however that your anti-virus is up-to-date and that you are not infected, because on the surface, you may not have any warning signs that you are infected, but your infected system may be causing much stress for someone else...like me.

Filed in:

No comments: