Thursday, January 12, 2006

Five-year-old gets drunk at Applebee's

Newsflash, I actually watched the news one night this week. theWife and I saw this story:
David Pescovitz: Five-year-old Seth Pereles was sipping what his mother thought was an apple juice at the Applebee's restaurant in Battery Park City, New York. Turns out that apparently he had accidentally been served a Long Island Iced Tea. His mother, Cynthia Pereles, says the restaurant came clean on the mistake but she's suing them for $75,000. From Local 6:

Pereles said she did not realize her son was drinking a concoction of white rum, gin, vodka, triple sec, Coke and sweet-and-sour mix until it was too late. The boy's eyes became glazed and he began to laugh uncontrollably, according to a report.

'When you're looking at your 5-year-old and you're asking him, quiet down Seth, sit still and you see that mentally and physically he cannot comply with what you're asking him to do because he is under the influence,' Pereles said.
I can understand the parents being upset, but come off it already. This one drink will not have any lasting effects or cause the child any mental anguish. I wonder how long it took the mother to be happy that this happened so that she could sue. A couple of minutes maybe.

1 comment:

nicole said...

God, I hate sue-happy people. Sure, that was a very BAD mistake on their part. And maybe she should get something for it, but I'm thinking a couple of free meals, not $75k. Puh-lease!