Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Bringing out the Geek

I absolutely love getting a chance to play with something new, whether it's a new computer which costs more than a few car payments to say the least, or it's a free piece of software. Find me something to tinker with and configure and I'll stay busy for hours on end. That's what happened this morning when I finally checked Avant Browser out. Can you say ooooohhhhhh. I did. It's as fast as Internet Explorer and it kills pop-up ads. Yes, I know about Mozilla too, but I didn't like Mozilla (even switched back to IE and put up with Pop-Up Ads) for two main reasons:
  1. I did not like having to keep Mozilla open via the system tray to speed up the opening of the browser itself (which otherwise is sluggish) - AND
  2. Getting to the preferences to turn off the Pop-up Killer, which has to be done on certain occasions (using bookmarklets primarily) is too intensive
Avant Browser runs on IE's engine so it is just as fast starting up without the need to reside in your system tray hogging resources; and you can turn the Pop-up killer on and off via a button on the tool bar when needed. Plus the multi-tabbed experience in Avant Browser is quicker on both my computer at work and at home than Mozilla's. I was sold on Mozilla for awhile, but headed back to IE to due a few annoyances, but I think Avant Browser has addressed where Mozilla went wrong and then some. Check it out for yourself, and if you have already, let me know what you think.

Filed in:

No comments: