Saturday, July 24, 2004

Today's The Day, Again

Last August Marcy and I quit smoking, then in November we started again. Our quest to stop smoking has been a very long journey that dates back to 1998. New Year's day, 1998, we quit smoking, and were successful for a whole year. New Year's Eve 98-99 we started again. Then, each of the following New Year's Days we have always quit smoking. We have been successful for awhile each time. 6 months in 2000, 4 months in 2001, 3 months in 2002, then as I said 3 months at the end of 2003.

Why am I telling you all of this? Today I decided to stop smoking. I'm not sick, and I'm not terribly out of shape, ok so I am but the has nothing to do with smoking, I'm just done. I was talking to a guy at work who comes in once a week to check our water-lab's chemistry. Our conversation went something like this:
Water-Lab Chemistry Guy: Hey Mike, how are you doing?
Me: Good, how are you?
WLCG: Good, I see you started smoking again.
Me: I've been all year where have you been?
WLCG: Oh have you? Hey, as long as you enjoy it, why not right? Life's to short not to enjoy.
Me: That's just it though, I don't enjoy it.
WLCG: Why do you do it then?
Me: Cuz I have to. I have to feed the beast.
WLCG: Oh, that sucks then.
Me: Yeah, I know.
So I stopped today. You can learn a lot from a Water-Lab Chemistry Guy. I never knew that. I do now.

Filed in:

No comments: